1.30.2014

Chapter 45: My 5 "secrets" to staying in shape!




With the new year comes new resolutions. Two things that are on a lot of people's list is to get healthier & get in better shape. I'm right there with you all! I think it's a wonderful thing to make your health a priority! In fact, I don't only think it's wonderful, I think it's important! A motto that my husband & I use is, "Stay healthy. Stay fit. Stay happy." We try our best to work out & eat healthy. I believe that probably 25% of our friends eat healthier & exercise more than we do. You guys motivate us! We're always striving to lead a healthier lifestyle! I never used to like working out in the gym because dancing [hip hop, jazz, ballet, tap, etc...] was my form of exercise. I thought the gym was boring, & all the equipment intimidated me. It wasn't until my husband introduced me to the gym that I ended up loving it! He had been trying to get me to workout with him for the longest time, but I never wanted to do the "gym thing". Then, last October, our base finally opened up their newly renovated gym that they poured millions of dollars into. My husband took me there, taught me the ways of the gym, introduced me to weights, & thus a gym junkie was born! I love working out with my husband! I never thought I'd enjoy being a gym-goer. We motivate each other. We push each other. We reward each other with kisses after finishing a set. It's pretty romantic, really ;) Or we're just that annoying mushy/corny fitness couple. No shame!

swolemate [noun]: Your life-long gym partner.
The one you simply can't lift without.
You would never dare let someone else spot you
once you've found your true swolemate.
You and your swolemate grow together,
both literally and figuratively.

Before I list my [not so] "secret" to staying in shape, I feel the need to mention that not everyone thinks being called "skinny" is a compliment. For me personally, I actually get offended when someone calls me skinny.  I've been guilty of retorting with, "I'm not skinny. Feel my abs!" I'd rather be called fit, in shape, or slim [if you must]. If it's rude to call someone fat, why is it ok to call someone skinny? That's a conversation I've had with one of my friends. In my opinion, I just think there's such a negative connotation attached to the word skinny. If someone calls me skinny, I think they're calling me boney & ugly. I don't think boney is beautiful. [Note: To clarify, I don't believe being boney by choice is beautiful. The people I'm referring to excludes those with medical conditions who are unable to put on weight. They are beautiful & strong in their own way] So please, think twice before you call someone skinny! They may not take it as a compliment, even if you mean it as a compliment! Also, please keep in mind that some people are just petite & born with a small frame. I've met people who want to gain more weight, but have trouble doing so. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. You may wish you were skinny like Sally, but Sally may wish she were curvier like you! You may wish you had straight hair like Katie, but Katie may wish her hair had more volume like yours! Too often we want what someone else has. OWN your OWN body! Treasure YOUR looks instead of envying what someone else looks like.


After HIT [high intensity training] gymnastics class with my husband.
I learned how to do kipping ups!

Furthermore, you shouldn't strive to be a certain size or weight. Just strive to be HEALTHY! That is what makes you beautiful [or handsome, if you're a guy reading this]! We were all born in different shapes & sizes. I know I won't ever have the biggest *ahem* chest area, and that was never an issue for me. I didn't care. You know why? Well, here's one reason... if I had a bigger chest, then I wouldn't be able to fit under the bed anymore ;P Call me weird, but in High School I used to lay under my bed all the time. I'd talk on the phone under my bed, I'd read a book under my bed [or in my closet], & I'd hide from my little sister under my bed... until she figured out that I could fit under my bed—then my hiding place was blown! Find any little or weird reasons to love everything about yourself. Strive to be healthy. If you want to go a step further & get more fit, then go for it!

I absolutely love under armour gear!

People will ask me what my secrets are to staying in shape & if I workout like crazy. Honestly, I don't workout as much as I should/want to. I used to say that I was in my best shape my senior year in high school—my college years, because I danced a lot. As I mentioned earlier, it wasn't until just recently that I jumped into the "fit lifestyle" & started trying to go to the gym regularly. Now I can say that I'm in my best shape now & gradually improving! I can now do push-ups—which I've never been able to do before—thanks to my workout dates with my husband! [Thanks babe! :D] The reason I put "secrets" in quotes in the title of my blog is because my "secrets" aren't really secrets. I don't follow a cleanse every X amount of days, I don't fast, I don't take diet pills, or what have you. No. I've just learned some simple tips over the years [mostly in high school] that I've tried to stick to, & I think they've helped shape my life & health in very positive ways:


1. Drink more water!
Simple, right? I've read that often times you're really just dehydrated, but you end up eating instead, & your body extracts the water from your food. You should try to drink a glass of water 30 minutes before you eat a meal. This will help hydrate & fill you, so that you don't overeat. 



2. Don't eat then sleep!
My husband tells me, "that's how sumo wrestlers get so big!" Lol :P Make sure you finish your meal within 3 hours before you plan to go to bed! I've heard that you need this time to digest & have your food turn into energy for you to use & burn off. If you fall asleep right away, your food will just turn into fat. This is something I'm pretty good at doing, but I do have my bad nights!

Under Armour! Love my new workout clothes & shoes!

3. Eat & drink healthy!
"Yes, organic food is expensive. However, last I heard, cancer is pretty expensive too."—Unknown
Pick up a piece of fruit or eat a plate of salad instead of junk food! This is something we're still working on, but I think we do a better job than most people. We'd love to eat completely organic food, but it's not always easy to find, & it definitely is expensive. That's where prioritizing comes into play. Give up a "luxury" expense in order to be able to afford to eat organic. Your body is your temple. Take care of it. Consider cutting out [or at least limiting] soda & alcohol from your diet too! I gave up soda cold turkey in high school because I read an article in TIME magazine about how much soda the average American consumes in a year, & it disgusted me. My husband & I aren't much of drinkers either, & I'm so glad that we aren't! Think of all the money you'll save & calories you'll avoid if you cut out [or limit] your soda & alcohol intake! :) That's money that can go to a traveling fund! New appliances! A gym membership! The possibilities are endless! :) 

He motivates me to push myself harder! 
 4. Flex every chance you get!
When you're sitting at the computer, watching tv, walking around the mall... flex your abs a little! Keep those muscles active. I think this is something I just picked up on due to my background in modeling & dancing. It was something my husband pointed out to me. I never really noticed that I'd often flex my abs ever so slightly randomly. In dance, you need to have a strong core to keep yourself centered & square, so that your dance moves look clean. I learned to have good posture because of modeling & walking the runway. To me, good posture & a tight stomach kind of go hand in hand, so it's almost automatic for me. If I'm standing/sitting up straight, I'm most likely flexing my abs a little as well. I think this simple thing has definitely helped me keep my "baby abs" throughout the years. However, sometimes I use that as a reason not to exercise =X I'm trying to break the habit of telling myself, "if I can still see my abs then I can skip working out today." That is a no no! I would like to get more toned & have more definition. I'm not there yet, & if I keep that mindset of not working out as long as my baby abs are still visible, then I'll never get the abs that I really want!


5. Go exercise!
Didn't see that one coming, did you?! :P Lol. Exercise as much as you can! Take your love & strive to be a FIT couple! Grab a friend & be workout buddies! Go to the gym. Go out for a run. Take dance classes. Go for a hike. Go for a nature walk. Just DO something ACTIVE, & do it often! 

*      *      * 

And wala! That's it :) My simple tips or so-called "secrets" to staying in shape! I hope they help you start off your new year with better & healthier habits! If you have any of your own tips & "secrets" please share them in a comment! :)


I love my husband :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me some love! :)