5.08.2013

Chapter 24: Staying Navy [my husband's reenlistment]


Hello [to at least] 4 more years of Navy Life!
Last Friday was a big day for this household! I went aboard my husband's ship during the workday to stand next to him during his reenlistment ceremony. You could call me a stereotypical "Proud Navy Wife", especially on that day because by the smile on my face & the way that I felt, I was probably the picture perfect poster girl for that term. The "Proud Navy Wife" label doesn't bother me because I wear it without shame. I proudly support my husband/best friend in all his endeavors, whether it's to reenlist again in 2017 OR to go back to college to get his degree & start working in a field he is passionate about. He has always been so supportive of me & that makes a world of a difference.


His reenlistment was a day to honor him for all that he has done for the Navy thus far & show appreciation for his decision to pursue his naval career. I was so happy to have been able to witness his reenlistment ceremony especially because I didn't get to watch him get sworn into the Navy back in 2009. I was honored to be there for him, but he turned things around by saying a short speech of appreciation & love in dedication to me in front of his shipmates. I'm sure I had a million dollar smile on my face that you could see from miles away :)

After believing this day was going to be all about him, you could imagine my surprise when the reenlistment officer offered me a certificate of appreciation from The United States Navy that states:
"By the authority vested in me, it is my pleasure to express the grateful appreciation of the United States Navy, to you, for your unselfish, faithful, and dedicated assistance during the naval service of your husband. Your unfailing support and understanding have helped immeasurably to make possible your husband's decision to continue a naval career."
I was truly touched to have received this & I really love that they give something to the spouses of the sailors as well. It's really nice to be acknowledged & appreciated. It's also perfect timing to have received this because May is Military Spouse Appreciation Month! It was definitely a nice cherry on top of the day :)


The ceremony was relatively short. First he had to be discharged & was a free man for less than 1 minute. I actually have a really funny story about this. I had a mini-heart attack when he was getting discharged & when he turned to smile at me. I was so confused! I thought to myself, "What?! I thought he was reenlisting?! Wait a second...Woah! He tricked me!..." I wondered if my face gave me away? :P Less than a minute later he started to take his oath to get back IN the Navy. Phew! Mini heart attack over. Lol.

I can't tell you how many people shook my hand & said kind words about my husband. If I wasn't a proud wife already, that definitely would have made me one! It was so wonderful to hear so many people say great things about my husband as a person & as a sailor. I'm not surprised, but it's still good to hear that he is held in such high esteem among his shipmates & especially his higher ups. Every time I see his captain he always has something good to say about my husband & it makes me even more proud to be married to him 


After the ceremony he got the rest of the day off work so we enjoyed some us time before going out to eat dinner with friends at BJ's Pizza & Brewery. Then it was off to the movies to watch Iron Man 3 in 3D since the original showing we planned to go to was sold out! The movie was a lot better than I expected it to be! It was a great day celebrating & we made a lot of amazing memories :)


More pictures from the day...

Celebrating with good friends & good food!
Silly faces at the movie theaters!
serious face... 
Gangster face.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me some love! :)