7.10.2013

Chapter 31: "2013 Creative Pay It Forward" [& the power of kind words/gestures]

I've said this before & I'll say it again... If you have something nice to say about someone, always tell them. Don't hold it in. Never hold back a compliment or kind word. It could make their day & may mean a great deal to someone. With that said, this is what had me crying happy tears on a Wednesday afternoon:

"...but one undeniable stepping stone in her journey through life was meeting a wonderful spirit named Darlene. I think your husband would understand and agree that you possess the innate, magical quality to encounter people and leave an impression of joy and love on their heart.  We haven't had a conversation in years, but that didn't stop me from being encouraged by what you offer this world: hope, persistence, endurance, appreciation for the good things in life, grace for the bad, and sincerity that restores anyone's faith in humanity...."

That was just part of a letter I received in the mail today [you can read the full letter below] from an old friend I haven't really spoken to in years... I have a pretty good memory, but sometimes it's good to be forgetful... Why? Well you see, my husband & I forgot to check the mail last week before we left for Disney World. It wasn't until today that we went to pick it up & received an anniversary card/gift from my parents [thanks mom & dad!] & to my surprise, a letter from that old friend I was talking about. I was pleasantly surprised [& confused] to receive a letter from Christine. It wasn't until I turned over the envelope & read "Cheers to Creative 2013—Pay it Forward!" that the light bulb clicked! Earlier this year she re-posted a status update that was trending & anyone who wanted a surprise [letter, book, gift, anything...] had to leave a comment & then copy/paste the status update on their Facebook offering the same thing to their friends. The rules said to do it for 5 people, but I chose to do it for 12 people as a way to guarantee I would be doing a random act of kindness at least once a month. I remembered the people I was doing the "2013 Creative Pay It Forward" for, but for some reason I completely forgot that someone else was doing one for me! How I could have forgotten? I have no clue, but I'm glad I did, because this was such a nice surprise!


As I read the letter out loud to my husband, I started getting really emotional. It wasn't long before her words touched my heart & had me crying so much that I had to take a break from reading the letter because I was just too overwhelmed by all of the kind things she had to say. As if the letter wasn't enough of a gift already, she also included 2 movie tickets for me & my husband! She even looked up the nearest AMC movie theaters to us. How thoughtful is she?! So sweet! :)

I love that "snail mail" sticker! SO CUTE!


Receiving this letter & gift from Christine only furthered my belief in the saying that, "God put's people into your life for a reason, a season, or a lifetime." & each of those people serve a purpose in your life. They help shape & mold you in ways that you probably don't even realize. Every good & bad experience you have helps build character. I'm so grateful for all of the people I've crossed paths with in my life so far & I look forward to coming across all of the other interesting people I haven't met yet!

Getting this letter reminded me of a Facebook post I wrote this past March while working at my [now old] job. I ended it with a question that I still wonder about to this day. Here was my old Facebook post:
"...Since I started working at my job I've had 4 strangers ask if I am/was a dancer because they could tell by the way I walk/present myself. Now today I got asked if I am/was a model. When I said yes, she replied with, "I knew it! My sister said you should be a model & I said that you probably already are or were". It's definitely always nice to hear that I carry myself well, because sometimes I don't feel like I do. I'm also going to start BELIEVING my husband when he says he loves how graceful I am & the way I walk/move, instead of replying with, "You're just saying that because I'm your wife". Why is it that we accept compliments from strangers more willingly than compliments from friends & family?"

What do you think? Does anyone have any answers? Leave a comment below if you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me some love! :)